Thursday, July 22, 2010
This is a very simple and delicious chutney. This recipe is my mother's and when you put it on the table when you have guests, it will look as if so much work was put into it.
Here it is...
19-20 strips of raw mango
1/4 tsp oil
1/4 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1/4 tsp calonji (onion seeds)
1/4 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
3 tsp sugar
1/2 C water
1/4 tsp garam masala
a pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
1) In a microwave safe bowl, add oil and heat up for 1 min.
2) Add jeera, calonji and saunf and microwave for a minute.
3) Add mango , salt , turmeric and water, and microwave for 3-5 minutes or until the mango becomes tender.
4) Add sugar, garam masala and microwave for another minute.
5) Let cool for 4-5 hours until all the flavors marry. It is ready to serve.
6) Serve with any spicy dish.
Friday, July 2, 2010
My husband, CJ, is a khichdi expert and i could never make a khichdi as tasty as his. So whenever I feel like having khichdi, i ask him to cook it. I thought of putting his recipe in the blog because this is really simple. Everybody can make it because of it's precise measurements. As for me, i just refuse to learn it, coz i have CJ to make it for me ;-)
1/2 C basmati rice
1/4 C split moong daal (green)
1 tsp jeera
2 tbsp oil
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 C chopped onion
1 tomato finely chopped
4 C water
salt to taste
1) In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add jeera. When it starts to splutter, add green chillies and onions. Let it turn brown.
2) Add tomatoes, let it cook for 2 minutes. Add garam masala.
3) Add the mixture of rice and daal, pour in water and add salt and black pepper.
4) pressure cook until one whistle and turn off the heat. Let the khichdi cook until all the pressure goes off by itself.
5) Serve hot with achar and papad